The Kefalonia Taxi Tour A contains Saint Andrew, St. George Castle and Saint Gerasimos. Book Now
The monastery of Agios Andreas:
The monastery of Agios Andreas, named after the Apostle Andrew, was founded during the Byzantine era but was reestablished in 1579 when three spiritual sisters started a small nunnery at this place. The nunnery soon grew in numbers as many women joined in and became nuns with one of them being the princess Roxane of Romania. Joining the nunnery the princess gave all her material and spiritual property to the monastery. The greatest of her treasures was the holy remains of the right foot of the Apostle Andrew that her family has aquired from Agion Oros and can still be found at the museum of the monastery. The museum that was built in 1988 displays many spiritual treasures of the Greek Orthodox virtue such the burial shroud of the Patriarch of Constantinople Gregory the 5th and two handwritten letters that Agios Kosmas the Aetolos wrote back in 1777.
The Castle of Saint George:
The Castle of Saint George, the old capital of Kefalonia island, is located 7km south east of Argostoli, on a hill right above the village Travliata. It covers an area of approximately 16,000 sq m and it is built in a polygonal shape. This castle was started getting built in the 12th century by the Byzantines but after the Venetians occupied the island they gave it its present form and added the external walls by the year 1504. Today the castle is in ruins with only the external walls and a few buildings surviving. It was a mixture of time, wars and earthquakes that caused its damages but lickilly it is still a magnificent place of sightseeing that is definitely worth a visit.
The monastery of Agios Gerasimos:
The monastery of Agios Gerasimos is in the municipality of Omala and is the holiest place on Kefalonia. It is located 11km away from Argostoli, the capital of the island. Next to the monastery are built the old and the new churches of Agios Gerasimos. The new church was built after the major earthquake of 1953. In that church are kept and displayed in a silver sarcophagus the holy remains of Agios Gerasimos. The saint passed away on August 15 1579, but his name day is celebrated on August 16. In addition to that date he is also celbrated on October 20 as his grave was found on the October of 1851 and his body was kept untouched from normal death decay. In the old church lies on the floor the entrance to the cave that the saint used as a mean of solitude. It is incredible the fact that although the entrance of the cave is not quite big, all the visitors dispite their size can fit through and visit it.
This tour is about 2 – 3 hours